lundi, janvier 03, 2005

the tsunami

It's hard to fathom the death and destruction in and around the Indian Ocean right now. My Swedish neighbor Maria was horrified to learn that nearly 6,000 Swedes are feared dead, many of them families who had been vacationing in Thailand. As she explained that this is the largest number of Swedes ever killed abroad and that it is a significant part of the population, it slowly sunk in.

I've avoided a lot of the media coverage after the initial day, because the goosebumps and tears just kept coming with each scene that appeared. And this is another catastrophe that is part of my psyche. Some of the others: the Challenger disaster (I was in fourth grade and watched it live on television), 9/11 (I was in our living room when Eric said that what was happening would be a moment that we'd use to separate what life was like before and after), and now this (in my 29th year).

My only pleasant thought related to it came via Aaron today at lunch. One of his friends who was on his way to fight in Iraq has been diverted for the humanitarian mission. Thank goodness for small mercies.

Aucun commentaire: