mercredi, mars 16, 2005

the sounds of summer

I'm a competitive, active and reasonably coordinated person, yet I loathe many sports. And I detest most sports commentators. But I love Frank Deford -- so much so that I wrote him a fan letter seven years ago.

I look forward to being in my car Wednesday mornings at 7:45 a.m., listening to NPR's Morning Edition and hearing Frank weave a story around sports during his "sweetness and light" segment.

This week's tale, Remembering Chuck Thompson, was about the sounds of summer and baseball commentators who could turn a colorful phrase. It left me reminiscing about childhoods spent listening to Vin Scully commenting on Dodgers games. It also made me smile as I thought about going to Angels games with my dad as a kid.

And a few weeks ago, Frank's essay on miracle makers (the Miracle League, which gives disabled children the chance to play baseball) left me all messy around the eyes.

Thank you, Frank. You've helped me appreciate the positive impact sports have on our culture. And you've reminded me why baseball really is the great American pastime.

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

I just wanted to thank you for this site. It's rare that I find a place with so much news on so many topics I'm interested in. Thanks a ton and have a fabulous week!