First of all, I should say that
- My gym is in Hillcrest, an area of town that's predominately gay
- I typically ignore everyone else when I'm getting my sweat on
- I am typically ignored because I'm a woman in what is essentially a gay male cruising zone
- I was wearing the new Mamma Mia shirt that Scott and Monika bought me in Vegas
Pourquoi? et la raison d'être ...
- Aleyda and Aaron are 39 weeks pregnant today and I'm still not done making their baby blanket.
- The item in question looked more like a baby placemat than a baby blanket at 7 p.m.
- I typically read my Org Behavior book at the gym (but the class is now over).
I grabbed my crochet bag and "The Partly Cloudy Patriot" by Sarah Vowel, figuring that if the yarn experiment failed, I'd read.
To my surprise, I was able to get about three more inches done all around the granny square as I jogged on the elliptical trainer.
As if counting stitches and keeping my balance wasn't enough to keep me busy, I found myself playing along with Jeopardy (closed captioned on the TVs in front of me) and humming along with the mix of alternative/ top 40 music being piped in.
No wonder the lovely gay boy next to me said this to me when he was done using the elliptical trainer: "Honey, that's beautiful. Ignore the looks from that bitch over there. Go on, freaky girlfriend." Predictably, he walked away with another beauuuuuutiful man.