lundi, novembre 21, 2005

at a loss for words

I aspire to cheekiness.

Naturally, I think that the "cheeky not geeky" T-shirt being sold at the Scrabble world championship is terribly clever. But I'd prefer one that just says "cheekiness." Gratuitous tangent: When I was a little girl, my mother's pet name for me was chiqui, (pronounced like the English work "cheeky,") and short for chiquita (Spanish for "little one.")

Oh, I also wouldn't mind being a better Scrabble player. For now, I'll settle for being a good Boggle player and leave the Scrabble domination to Laura, Aaron, Brandon, and Cass.

Scrabble Kings Vie for Linguistic Superiority
In the end, the zobo and the ogive could not quite triumph over the qanat and the euripi on Sunday, and thus the contender was birsled - Scottish dialect for scorched or toasted.

It was with such linguistic acrobatics that the eighth World Scrabble Championships came to an end in a north London hotel, when Adam Logan, a 30-year-old mathematician from Canada, scored 465 points to beat Pakorn Nemitrmansuk, a 30-year-old architect from Thailand, with 426 points in the final game of a playoff.

Aucun commentaire: