dimanche, juin 25, 2006

what a wonderful world this would be ...

Don't know much about geography, don't know much trigonometry.
Don't know much about algebra, don't know what a slide rule is for.
But I know that one and one is two, and if this one could be with you,
What a wonderful world this would be.

Yes, I'm in the midst of a Sam Cooke renaissance. Actually, make that a Sam Cooke meets the Kleptones meets the random Tom Jones club hit popular in Spanish nightclubs circa the late nineties. But I digress ...

I took Diana's geography quiz and scored better than I thought I would. But I was surprised to see how far off I was with Utah and Wyoming. And to learn that Missouri and Tennessee actually touch. (Yes folks, I grew up in the United States, where we don't teach geography — even our own.)

Perhaps it's because I just learned that a friend of mine is pregnant ... but I'm thinking that when my time comes, I'll buy my kids more than just a globe. I'll give them those old-school particleboard puzzles of the United States and Latin America. I'll even throw in those placemats and a shower curtain that have world maps on them. Hell, while I'm at it, maybe I should take a look at a map of Central Asia and find out where all the 'stans are now that they're no longer part of the USSR ...

5 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

H-
Read your US Map blog.
Here's a great test: http://www.pibmug.com/files/map_test.swf
G-Unit

Happy A. a dit…

This article pretty much sums things up.

Happy A. a dit…

And there's also Jason's Anamaniacs country song.

Anonyme a dit…

That article about "heroic citizen" must be joke. At least for me it seems to be full of irony ... or am I reading it like foreigner?

-Saku

Happy A. a dit…

Saku!!!!

Yes, the Onion article is a parody. You should read the Onion sometime -- it's one of the best things online.