jeudi, août 09, 2007

presidential debate on LGBT issues

I sent some friends word that the first-ever Presidential debate on LGBT issues was happening tonight ... and I got some strong feedback on the topic. Here's a sample:
  1. i'll save you two hours:
    "discrimination based on sexual preference is hideous and wrong and will not be tolerated. we are all equal under the law and deserve the same exact rights, with no exceptions. gay marriage? well, not so much. have you seen this other water fountain? it's *exactly* the same as the one the whites drink from, it just says "for coloreds" on it. what? gays in the military? i don't see a reason to change the current system, where gays are allowed to serve their country proudly and on equal footing with straights. well, unless they say they're gay. then they're out. but they can tell all their gay friends that they serve. and wear their uniforms for kinky dress-up night. well, no, not in the pride parade, other people will see! just in those seedy clubs where gays gather to worship the dev... sorry, lost my train of thought. where was i? oh yes, equality, no exceptions."

    i mean, i'll be watching too. but don't expect much. i want someone to ask the following question: "how can you claim not to be anti-gay when none of you support gay marriage? yes, mr. kucinich, i know you're for it. unfortunately, you don't count."

    i heard on npr that they had all the major candidates but two. i don't see any missing.

  2. Until a democratic candidate decidedly sets a non-republican agenda favoring reform such as getting health care for the uninsured or underinsured (i.e all), amnesty for illegals, and possibly even "hark" gay marriage what is there for me to listen to?

    Big Gay Al

    p.s. oops I forgot all about that war thing.

  3. did you read their responses? they all SUCK!
    they all, at least the 3 leading candidates say we support equal rights for all Americans....gay people should have the same rights...just not marriage. call it civil union....then its ok...just don't call it marriage.

    have we not learned that separate but equal is NOT EQUAL!! =)

  4. I haven't seen a single live debate about anything this cycle - just caught random excerpts on YouTube once in a while. Have I become that cynical?

    Obama seems to be suffering from populist foot-and-mouth disease recently (attack Pakistan? Really, Barack? Obviously you have no f'ing clue as to the hornet's nest you'd blast open. Perhaps you are more naive that I thought), and Hillary is the fakest pandering fake I've ever seen. Nothing she says ever seems remotely genuine.

    The Democrats are lame. The Republicans are vile.

    And I shudder to think about voting for Hillary as a last resort.

    Man, this sucks.

  5. yeah... the only ones i see missing are Biden and Dodd, aka, the headliners of "tier two." Biden always makes for an entertaining debate, so that's too bad. Dodd was my senator for years and makes my skin crawl, but always brings up a "at least it's not Lieberman" feeling that I am forced to embrace.

    poor, poor kucinich. i just want to give him a hug, some dinner, and some stilts. i am always amused by the "are we ready to elect a woman/black/morman"-esque conversations, but i honestly believe all of those will happen before we elect someone that short (eliminating, of course, our officials of about 200 years ago).

    i have no high hopes for tonight, other than to be high while watching, and i've read their statements too. it will make me angry. it will make me pace and chainsmoke. but i have to give them some credit -- i could be wrong but i don't remember a forum like this ever taking place before... at least not with "top tier" (yuck) candidates.

    i'm down for an axis of evil supper club. can we potluck with salads and alternatives to the electoral college?

  6. I have a HOA meeting tonight so I'm going to catch the highlights...I can't imagine they'll say anything earth shattering...its sad...just sad...ugh...

    I also think it is sad that none of the republican candidates accepted the invitation to this event...not that I expected them to say yes...why can't we have real leadership in this country?!?!? Does it even exists anymore?

    ...oh sorry...I could go on but I'll stop...
I've accepted the fact that no one who represents my views is electable in this country, but it still pisses me off.

It also scares the living shit out of me when I think about a lowest common denominator form of government and what will happen if I don't vote Democrat in the next big election. (I still think that voting Green is the same thing as handing the GOP a vote.)

What I really want is to live somewhere where I'm not faced with a clothespin vote situation and where there isn't just a two-party system.

Sigh.

Methinks its time to re-convene the axis of evil supper club. Lemme know if you're in. Meanwhile, here are the details on the debate, and a link to each candidate's stance on gay rights issues:
Tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern, 6 p.m. Pacific, presidential candidates will gather in Los Angeles for a forum on issues affecting the lives of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in the United States. Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese, Melissa Etheridge and esteemed journalist Jonathan Capehart will appear as panelists at the event.

The following candidates will be appearing (in alphabetical order): Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Mike Gravel, Dennis Kucinich, Barack Obama and Bill Richardson.

Find out how you can watch the forum and learn more about the candidates' positions on GLBT issues.

Aucun commentaire: