lundi, octobre 22, 2007

wildfire weather

San Diego's on fire, again. For local residents, the smell of smoke, falling ashes, and hazy sky are a reminder of the firestorm of October 2003.

My home is not in any of the danger zones, but a few colleagues and friends evacuated shortly after 4 a.m.

Others have already lost their homes, and I can't imagine how devastating it must be to lose a lifetime of memories. Meanwhile, I'm amazed by this woman's response to the news that her home had burned down:
"The loss is way up in the double-digit millions," Lawrence said, noting the home contained family heirlooms, paintings and Elvis Presley memorabilia bought from his Graceland estate.

She said she was able to gather a few things before the fire engulfed her home, including some jewelry and memorabilia that included Elvis Presley’s Army fatigues.

She didn’t seem too worried about losing most of her belongings in the fire. "My parents taught me not to allow my possessions to posses me," Lilly Lawrence told KABC-TV. "So, that's the story. The house is a house."

Aucun commentaire: