mercredi, novembre 17, 2004

subconsciousness

My new friend Denisse mentioned some things women do at work that can undermine their success, including:
1. Women tend to try and be everyone's friend at work.
2. Women tend to touch their hair when nervous. A lot.

... which made stop and fret about my own habits. (And touch my hair once.) Then she told me about this book: Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers

Speaking of subconscious habits... I was in a meeting today where someone used the word "um" 52 times ( I didn't count the other filler words, but noticed a bunch) in a presentation.

I suspect that I still use lots of "ums" and other filler words when I make presentations, but listening to her verbal static today has re-kindled my motivation to attend Toastmasters regularly. Feel free to join me -- the meeting is every Thursday morning from 7 - 8:30 a.m. at Acapulco restaurant on San Juan Dr. in Old Town.

Aucun commentaire: