dimanche, janvier 09, 2005

20 million bracelets and counting

Cass was the first person I knew who wore the LIVESTRONG bracelet.

When she told me what it was about in March 2004, I was six months post-op and not ready to wear one. But a week later, I listened to Lance Armstrong's first book, It's Not About the Bike. Then I spent my summer in France and saw Lance destroy the competition during the Tour. When I got back, I listened to his second book, Every Second Counts. After that, I made several other major life changes (including filing for divorce) and started focusing on what I wanted my survivorship to be. In August, John Hughes gave me my bracelet -- I haven't taken it off since. In October, Lynne and Cindy gave me ten bracelets (they were on backorder and impossible to get in time for my one year re-birthday party in September). I gave those bracelets to people who had played a critical role in my diagnosis and recovery.

Apparently, 20 million have been sold and the Lance Armstrong Foundation online store still has a tough time keeping up with the demand. And I'm glad they became trendy (even John Kerry wears one), because it might make another (young) person pay attention to the fact that it can happen to them. For me, it's a personal reminder of what I want to do with my survivorship and a chance to help the person who hears my story.

Aucun commentaire: