lundi, octobre 17, 2005

soup days

Outside my office, the ominous charcoal-grey clouds are pouring rain.

Today's a perfect day to be inside curled up by the fireplace, enjoying a good book or movie and the warmth of my golden retriever while eating one of my favorite comfort foods: soup.

Some of my fondest childhood memories are rainy days. When I was a little girl, I'd trudge home from the bus stop in the rain, wet and chilled to the bone. My stay-at-home mom would meet me at the front door to take my coat and umbrella and give me a fluffy towel. I'd head to my room to put on warm PJs or sweats and dry socks and slippers. Then, she'd sit me down at the kitchen table for a cup of hot, homemade potato and leek soup or caldo (broth).

I'm a grown woman, but on a day like today, nothing will satisfy me but soup. If I wake up on a weekend to the sound of raindrops on my window or roof, I check my pantry and then bundle up and head to the market for ingredients to make a ginormous pot of soup. Since it's a Monday and I'm at work/ in class until 10 tonight, I'll head to the marketplace on campus and get a cuppa corn chowdah for my evening meal.

Mmmmm. Soup is good food.

1 commentaire:

D a dit…

I love soup, especially noodles soups when I'm sick. Pho is my comfort food.