mercredi, février 01, 2006

2245 dead. how many more?

The state of the union? We're totally fucked.
Now that that's out of the way, here's my favorite story to come out of last night's non-event:

Capitol Police arrest antiwar activist Sheehan
In her blog, Sheehan wrote that her T-shirt said, “2245 Dead. How many more?” — a reference to the number of soldiers killed in Iraq.

She said she had one arm out of her coat when an officer yelled, “Protestor.”

“He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my seat and roughly (with my hands behind my back) shoved me up the stairs,” she wrote. She was then cuffed and driven to police headquarters a few blocks away.

“I was never told that I couldn’t wear that shirt into the Congress,” Sheehan wrote. “I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things...I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later.”

Note: A republican congressman’s wife was also removed for her ‘Support the Troops’ shirt.

When did the Bill of Rights stop being applicable to citizens sitting in (of all places) the Capitol ?
Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Aucun commentaire: