4 pounds (about 6 medium-size) sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and thinly sliced
1 ¼ cups regular-strength chicken broth
1 ¼ cups port or broth
2 TBSP minced fresh ginger
3 TBSP minced crystallized ginger
2 TBSP sugar
¼ to ½ cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
Yield: 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spread potato slices level in a shallow casserole dish (about 9x13 inches).
- Mix 1 ¼ cups broth, port, and fresh ginger. Pour over potatoes and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven until potatoes are very tender when pierced, about 1 ¼ hours. If making ahead, cool and chill up to 1 day; to continue, add 2 TBSP broth or water to casserole.
- Sprinkle potatoes evenly with crystallized ginger and sugar. Bake uncovered until potatoes are glazed and brown, about 30 minutes longer (40 minutes if chilled).
- Scatter pomegranate seeds on top; add salt to taste.
CALORIES: 228 (2.8% from fat); FAT 0.7g (0.2g saturated); PROTEIN 3.1g; CARBOHYDRATES 53g; SODIUM 37mg; CHOLESTEROL 0mg.
Source: 100 Recipes for Low-Fat Meals from Sunset.
dimanche, février 03, 2008
double-ginger sweet potatoes with port
We love this recipe as a great alternative to the cloyingly sweet (marshmallow, butter, and brown sugar) stuff that's popular at Thanksgiving. The port, broth, and ginger all come together nicely in a gorgeous, tasty glaze.